6.25.2008

Game Night, impromptu

Generally, I'm slightly uncomfortable around kids. This can be viewed as a negativism, since my intention is to surround myself with them, and try to coax them to absorb the information that I'm presenting to them. You see, I'm a big guy, and kids just look little and fragile to me. So when my folks invited their pastor over for dinner last night, and then he arrived with two little kids in tow (12 and 10 I think) I felt a mixture of perturbation (is that a word? oh well roll wit it), apprehension and hunger (that last one is probably unrelated to the kids haha).
Here's a precis of the night to follow:
dinner
chinese checkers against a 10 year old girl ( I won )
taught girl how to play chess (lost queen early due to distraction by 12 year old boy, came back to win it though)
gave tips on putting to the boy
about 10 games straight of mancala versus both kids
watched my pops and the pastor play Go
got challenged and subsequently schooled at Go by the boy, who cackled at my ineptitude the whole duration of the game

and that ate up 4 hours last night. Moral of the story? Kids like games? (duh) umm Sitting cross-legged for 1.5 hours playing mancala makes my ass fall asleep? Go is an interesting and sometimes frustrating game?

No comments: